Monday, March 24, 2008

Shoe Trees near Kinmount, Ontario, Canada

A Shoe tree, not to be confused with the shoe-preservation device of the same name, is a tree(or, occasionally, a powerline pole or other wooden object)that has been festooned with old shoes. Shoe trees are generally located alongside a major local thoroughfare, and may have a theme(such as high-heeled shoes).There are currently at least seventy-six such shoe trees in the United States,and an undetermined number elsewhere.
Source: Wikipedia

On our way to see Wayne Newton last week we passed by a group of shoe trees just out of Kinmount, Ontario. It was so great that we had to make a return trip so I could get some pictures. Around here where I live you see the odd pair of shoes tossed over hydro lines but nothing that I know of comes even close to this display. Two trees, and three fenceposts with shoes on them and a few on the overhead lines. I didn't have extra shoes to leave here, and the snow was up to my hips when I tried to get in for a close look. We'll be passing by here on our way to see Don Rickles at the end of May. I'll make sure to bring something to add to this display then.

See more about Kinmount here ... http://kinmount.ca/





These are up at the top of the tree, some tossed and some attached to the trunk.










I loved the flipper that was left in this tree. It's really held it's colour so I can't tell if it's an old addition or a new one.










Here's a few shoes climbing the trunk to get the sun.












This is the area of the trunk that is the easiest to reach from the ground. People seem to have extra running shoes more than any other type of shoe.




These are workboots and flipflops. From work to play. I can't imagine leaving workboots on a fencepost. Although it'd be great if the former owner never had to work again and left his boots here to mark that.



These were my favorites. A pair of bear slippers with the fake claws. I sometimes get this kind of novelty slipper. I always want them when I see them but once I have them, I rarely wear them. Too big and bulky. They look good on the post for the same reason. I totally understand sacrificing them.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos, I'd like to go taek some shots myself and leave a pair of shoes, could you let me know where this is in Kinmount?

Unknown said...

In Chicago shoes over a power line on a fence post , on a light post etc tells all that drugs can be bought here ( not a good thing) so i wounder what a shoe tree means ?

Anonymous said...

it is a ritual thing you were to have good luck when thrown up dont know the complete details but did read it at one time this shoe tree is located hwy 45 or monck road

Anonymous said...

I loved the shoe trees in Kinmount. I remember them from my childhood. I loved passing them. I am so sad that the City of Kawartha Lakes decided to cut them down.

redcatdance said...

Oh Anonymous I am so sad the shoe trees were cut down! Did you go visit them and they weren't there?? I'll bet they get started again. These things pop up *without* official consent.

Thanks for the update.

Lynne said...

Read all about Kinmount Shoe Trees Getting the Boot at kinmount.ca

Lynne said...

The Shoe Tree page at kinmount.ca has been removed but you can view all the same information at kinmountshoetrees.blogspot.com